Sunday, July 19, 2009

July 17, 2009

Why I like to drive and camp.


So I was going to San Antonio for an important meeting with my client and a series of their vendors. While I was scheduled with plenty of time to get to Texas and be early for a dinner with the business partners, everything unraveled when the flight attendant at Dulles Airport was not able to take the flight and it was cancelled - everyone had to stand in a long single file line and wait to be rebooked to their final destination. One of the less patient passengers loudly speculated that it was a hangover or "woman problems." The woman behind the counter gave him a problem getting to Baton Rouge... I think she was connecting him through Denver.


The flight was merely the first in a series of cascading events that brings about this post. While I was delayed, stood by, scampered, and sat next to the largest woman I've met in a long time (I thought our row might actually be a hazard to the safety of the flight) - but the point is that I arrived in San Antonio about six hours later than planned. Suffice it to say that I was a little disappointed when I had to help the nice non-english speaking maid pull out a couch.


A redacted version of my letter follows:


Hilton Corporate Services

RE: Customer Visit, Confirmation: 82485393 / Folio: 530911
Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is BXXXX McXXXXXXXX (Hilton Rewards: XXXXXXX), I was a guest at the Double Tree Hotel, San Antonio airport July 15, 2009. I have been a business traveler for the past 12 years – visiting multiple brands, including Hilton. This letter is the first formal correspondence I have ever prepared in response to the lodging conditions I encountered in my recent stay.

Upon check-in, the desk clerk requested the assistance of the Asst. Front Desk Mgr, Robert XXXXXX, to inform me that the hotel was oversold (normally 10%, but due to it being a weekday it was now at 20%) and the only room available had a “nice” fold-out bed. In appreciation for my patience, they would reduce my rate and offer me a free breakfast. I was in town at client expense to participate in a presentation (at the Double Tree meeting facility) to 36 of my client’s top vendors in South Texas where we would be providing a catered breakfast (by a Double Tree vendor). I asked if there were other accommodations and was informed that there were, but they would not be within walking distance (imperative for the pre-meeting prep scheduled for 6:45am).

Mr. XXXXXX, in an attempt to accommodate me, did give me a voucher for a free drink at Cascabel Restaurant & Bar, but I am concerned that options that were presented were below the standards I expect from Hilton brands. My frustration with this situation prompts this correspondence, and I have included images of the situation

The inventory of room 504[1] is:
· 1 conference room table (seats 8 comfortably)
· 12 chairs - 8 conference room; 1 office, 2 sitting; 1 with ottoman
· 4 tables - 1 coffee, 1 conference, 1 desk, 1 mirrored for coffee service
· 1 two cushion couch (greenish with tears in cushions) [2];
· 1 armoire with flat screen television (facing sitting chairs);
· 1 sixteen inch brown stain between the bathroom and exit door[3];
· 1 closet with TWO hangers;
· 2 telephones (only one working) neither within eight feet of couch;
· 1 pull-out couch[4].

I was pleased that the automated wake-up call system worked, but was mildly annoyed that the call arrived ten minutes before the scheduled time (a similar result was mentioned by a member of my client team). Fortunately the meeting room was appropriately prepared and the technical support (Shane) was knowledgeable and responsive to our requirements.

I am not writing to hold Hilton hostage for the $80.56 this property charged or Hilton Rewards points and status; I think this situation has established that I will no longer consider Hilton brands for my lodging requirements. I ask that your company remove me from the mailing lists (electronic and USPS) related to rewards promotions or offer services from partners (credit cards) that I did not ask for and see as unnecessary.


Sincerely,

BXXXX McMXXXXXX
[1] Please reference Picture 1 for a general view of the room.
[2] Please reference Picture 2 for close-up of these cushions.
[3] Please reference Picture 3 for a photo of the stain on the floor.
[4] Please reference picture 4 for a close-up of pull-out couch.





I received a reply via email indicating that Hilton is looking into the situation. If anything interesting arrives, I'm sure Caleb will goad me into sharing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was stupendous...


shark mcghee

Caleb said...

So what happened?