Wednesday, April 15, 2009

April 16, 2009

Operation Kegerator

So, back in November Dave and I got a Pepsi machine. I don’t really like soda very much. I really do like beer very much. Operation Kegerator was a no brainer.



Unfortunately the machine was designed and constructed to be left outside of a High School gymnasium – it is virtually indestructible. The interior panels are made of steel and all mechanical fasteners were rivets that needed to be drilled out. Even when the panels were detached from the frame, I had to cut additional structure to pull them out. It was a great excuse to wear some safety equipment.



Once the interior panels were removed, I needed to construct a platform for the keg and CO2 tank. Rather than simply cut a piece of plywood and position it in place, I used some wood that was leftover when David didn’t want the split box spring for his queen bed, and rather than throwing the box spring in the trash, I disassembled it, and stored the wood in the garage, and since it was four pieces of wood, and had to take into consideration the cuts made to disassemble the machine I used the flat steel that was leftover from operation RackandRoll – it took a while, almost as long as it took to explain that one step.


Finally, I cut a hole in the side of the machine, through three metal panels and an inch of foam insulation. Unfortunately I don’t have any full kegs at this time, which will give me a chance to measure out and install the tubing for the gas and dispensing lines.



Number of evenings spent in the garage: 4
Trips to home depot: 5
Time home depot closed on Easter: 6pm
Number of Successful trips to home depot: 3
Number of times walked to home depot: 3
Number of Home Depot Surveys Completed: 3
Consistent ‘net promoter score’ I gave: 7
Net Promoter is a customer loyalty metric co-founded by (and a registered trademark of) Frederick F. Reichheld, Bain & Company and Satmetrix.
Number of consultants it takes to create a metric: 1
Number of consultants it takes to create a pepsi kegerator: 1
Survey drawing prize: $5,000 gift card
Cost of 7/8” Punchout Drill Bit: $34.97
Thumb smashed with sledgehammer: Left
Profanity Used: Much

3 comments:

mad b said...

Cool idea.....

continue documenting the project for us to follow

Try not to get your weiner caught in that thing.

fat mack said...

good thing i took a picture of the 'before' status - i had a bit of a challenge getting the can-guard back in place.

the 'before' picture also reminded me to guard my pickle.

web ninja said...

nice mask, you look like you actually know what you're doing in most of those pics.