Monday, June 15, 2009

June 14, 2009

Start: Vogel State Park, Chattahoochee National Forest, Georgia
End: Owensboro, KY

A day of dams - I rocked out of Chattahoochee National Forrest around 9:30 and Crossed into North Carolina briefly before crossing into Tennessee. Along the way, I ended up riding along the Ocoee River which was dammed extensively by the Tennessee Valley Authority with three dams – between dams 3 and 2 is the course that was used by the Olympians for the white water events in 1996 (DAM!). I followed the state roads trying to keep a west by northwest heading, hoping that I would cross the Appalachian Mountains efficiently, but it seemed like I spent all morning negotiating switchbacks and upanddownshifting.

I had planned on camping somewhere near mammoth cave, KY – but I ended up rolling in around 4:30 which was too early for me to stop making distance so I found a little camping symbol on my atlas at the Rough River State Park about seventy miles northwest. I rolled into the park after the ranger had gone for the day – a hand written note indicated that they would collect camping fees in the morning.

The park only had a handful of tents and RV’s so I was able to find a spot that was a fair distance from other campers and the tail waters of the Rough River dam where I would imagine mosquitoes hang out. Unfortunately – the sky to the west was black and thunder was rolling all around. Rather than set up a tent to get rained on, I decided to wait a while and see if the storm would pass. I built a fire, and decided that if my fire could beat out the rain, I would go ahead and camp regardless. Unfortunately, the storm packed a long downpour that doused my fire and flooded the area I had staked out for my tent (DAMN!). I pushed on to Owensboro and got a nice hot shower and clean sheets.

Pics: a) ocoee #2, boaters putting in for a 4.5 mile ride; b) our intrepid hero at the water above the dam; c) At barren river dam I was going to take a picture, but Ricky chased me off; d) we didn't start the fire; e) blame it on the rain.


Day Miles: 420
Trip Miles: 1,335
Cities: GA – Ivy Log; NC – Ranger; TN – Cleveland, Georgetown, Dayton, Sparta, Carthage, Lebanon; KY – Petroleum, Glasgow, Cave City, Leitchfield, Falls of Rough, Philpot
Dams: Ocoee 1, 2, 3, Barren River, Nolin, Rough River
Damnation (Number of billboards listing the Ten Commandments): 4 (at least)
Number of bookstores: 0
Sunday Hours at Putnam (TN) & Allen (KY) Counties, Public Libraries: Closed
Population of Owensboro KY: 54,067
Population of Frankfort, KY: 27,741
Participants in 2009 New York City Puerto Rican Day Parade: >80,000
Distance from Lavonia, GA to Scottsville, KY: 341.9mi
Fuel consumed: 16.225 gal (21.1mpg)
Last time fuel econ > 21: 3/21/8; (From El Reno, OK to Little Rock, AK [22.2mpg])
Cost of a room at Holiday Inn Express: $100
Cost to Park at Holiday Inn Express: $0
Stations playing Car Talk at 6pm within range of Anneta, KY: 4 (89.3, 88.9, 89.7, 90.9)
The WULF, 94.3FM, Lyrics from Brad Paisely:
'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks

Oooh, you never know where one might be
And oooh, there's lots of places that are hard to reach

1 comment:

davisk said...

Ha! "I'd like to Check you for Ticks" cracks me up every time. Is that the first time you'd heard it? Wish I'd been there to see your face.