Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 17-23, 2009

Start: Carroll, IA
End: Carroll, IA

Things to do in Carroll, IA

This weekend the town was hosting a softball tournament – it started at 5:30pm on Friday and according to a guy I work with at the client, it was scheduled to run until midnight Friday and Saturday evenings and start at 7am Saturday and Sunday mornings including 28 teams playing simultaneous games on two fields in a minimum of three game tournament. There were bleachers that were mostly empty because most of the spectators were actually there to stand around, drink beer and chat – it was like a highschool football game where the action on the field is a pretext for socializing. The fact that tickets for cans of Bud products could be purchased for $2.50 each. And when you are done with your beer, just throw the can on the ground – there is a 5cent deposit on cans/bottles in Iowa so an army of pre-teen kids wandered through the crowd vying for cans.

Saturday morning I met up and played golf with the husband of a woman I work with, and her son, and her father. We played nine holes at the municipal course just north of town. After a rest, I then went to the country club and walked 18 holes by myself. Between the fact that residents of Carroll have to be members, it was hotter than blazes, and while I was playing there were three weddings going on in town in addition to the softball tournament – I played the course slowly and comfortably without having to wait or hurry. Saturday evening I checked out the new wine bar in the process of opening in town (http://www.santamariawinery.com/). I give them an “A” for effort (a marble topped bar and hearth) and “T” for nice try (poor food presentation, suspect service).

I sent an email to the distillery manager for Templeton Rye (http://www.templetonrye.com/) to see about getting a tour (and bottles) but was informed that there are no open tours until July 11th. While I was at the liquor store I struck up a conversation with the clerk about the availability of the sauce – I had heard that they were only delivering a case a month to the largest liquor store in town. She and the manager corrected me that it was a case every TWO months. They even showed me the statement the company had issued – that the product requires four years to produce and since they had expanded distribution to Iowa AND Illinois, they were simply over capacity. I suggested that they raise the price until they can get capacity up to speed. The clerk replied, “But then they wouldn’t sell as much!” I will offer free explanation of law of ‘supply and demand' to the distillery. For the record, I’m not a rye connoisseur but as far as potent potables, this one is going to need a can of coke.

So to close out the weekend, I went and saw the movie, “The Proposal”… partially because I know that Kim won’t go see it with me, and partially because I’m a sucker for a good romantic comedy. I give the movie a B – it is a serviceable comedy with well developed romance and actors and actresses that are appropriately cast. It can wait until a rainy day and a TBS movie marathon. Go ahead and make fun of me – but someone else is watching the ‘Take the Lead,’ ‘Save the Last Dance’ double feature!

Pics: a) gardens of crops - farming is business and smart farmers apply science. these signs indicate different seed types for corn and soybean; b) gardens of stone - i like to visit cemetaries and i'm often amazed at how long many widows live beyond their spouse (36 years!);


Day Miles: N/A
Trip Miles: 2,076
Towns: Carroll, Glidden, Coon Rapids, Willey, Deadham
Price to walk 18 holes Carroll Country Club: $36
Number of Aces, Eagles, Birdies: 0
Pars: 1
Scores at Bogey or above: 16
Holes closed for wedding: 1 (9th)
Date Beverage Container Deposit Law implemented in IA: 5/1/1979
Inflation from 1979 to 2009: 3.85%
Amount 5cent deposit should be to maintain parity of value: $0.16
Full price ticket for movie in Carroll: $7.00
Price for popcorn & soda: N/A (bad service + impatience)
June is national month of: Safety, Outdoors, Change Your Life
June 22nd is national day of: Stupid Guy Thing Day
References to “whiskey & rye” in “American Pie” (song, not movie): 7
Expected Blood Alcohol Level* if playing drinking game: .23
Where the music died 2/3/1959 – Clear Lake, IA
Google search results for “Wealth of Nations”: 1,570,000
Results of “Name Adam Smith” in Wolfram Alpha: 72nd most popular name “Adam”

*120lb Woman… 240lb man = .11

1 comment:

davisk said...

Oooh! Let's get a tour of Templeton Rye when we cross paths in IA, eh? Liz and I love that stuff!